Here is a progress report on the built-ins. I made them out of PureBond 3/4″ and 1/4″ birch plywood and pine S4S lumber. They are 20″ wide and 84.75″ tall.
Before assembling the unit, I drilled shelf-pin guides on each side. I used a peg board guide and it worked pretty well.
So that I didn’t screw up, I circled each hole I needed for the length:
Holding the shelf peg next to the drill bit, tape the bit at the point you want to stop drilling. You’ll know when you hit that depth when the tape spins all the sawdust out of the way. I do a test on a scrap of wood to make sure I’ve got it at the correct depth.
And because I knew the accuracy was crucial for the shelf resting level, I used this to mark the other side before I flipped the pegboard over and drilled. I knew it was accurate when the pencil mark was in the middle of the pegboard hole. It just made me feel better about it, marking it first.
I used pocket holes to join most of the unit. I clamp a straight scrap behind the pocket holes before I screw them together, because Kreg recommended this in one of their videos. It works well if your clamps are very secure.
To get the best use of the entire sheet of plywood, I spend a LOT of time changing around dimensions of different parts. The sides had to be a little shy of my intended 84.75 to make other parts fit, so the top had to rest on top of the sides and be screwed in with countersink screws.
Next up: how I made doors with 1x3s, 1/4″ plywood, and pocket holes.
Craft Room Transformation Post 2: Desks