Got out my brand spankin new air compressor over the weekend from Air Compressors USA. This blog is once again doing its job–when I am attempting to conquer unchartered territories in my life, I can put the job off indefinitely. Years can go by. But when people come over and read about the Pink Toe experiences it makes me want to get stuff on here. And so this weekend I plugged in my air compressor to break it in.
This involves opening up the drain valve on the bottom, turning on the compressor and letting it run for 15 minutes without allowing pressure to build up in the tank. After 15 minutes you close the valve and let the compressor run until it reaches it’s pressure limit and shuts itself off. Then you release the pressure down to 20 psi by pulling this ring to open a valve, and finally letting the condensation drain out of the tank by opening the drain valve again and letting the remaining pressure push the moisture out of the unit. When it comes to valves controlling the flow of gas and compressed air, some may choose to implement a pneumatic ball valve in these types of systems if they’re looking for more sophisticated and accurate regulation of the flow of gas through the pipes.
Sounds simple! And it was. But I have one bit of advice for anyone who has never used a compressor before. You go in the bathroom and release any moisture in your bladder before you pull that ring I was talking about. I was not expecting the air to hit my hand like that (the ring isn’t that big so it’s hard to avoid the air) and it is accompanied by a loud hiss. I think I jumped about 3 feet in the air and almost had moisture problems of a personal nature.
So that was problem numero uno. It was all the new experience I could handle in a day, and I was already a little jumpy about using the nailers, so I didn’t actually connect any of the pneumatic nailers to the compressor. I did that the next day, and encountered problem number 2.
First you need to know that I was attaching the back to the boxes I had assembled. The backs are purposely smaller so that I can do something to them to make them attractive from the back (since these are viewed from the back and front)
I didn’t have much to nail into, but I thought I was very careful to just nail into the edge. Look what I had when I turned the box back up.
I was disappointed, but I thought I was probably not the only person in the world to have this happen. And if that is true, then Google could certainly rescue me. Advice from a Google search: use pliers to grasp the nail and keep it straight so that you can use a hammer to lever it out of there. But use a piece of wood under the hammerhead so that you don’t mar your wood surface.
No hammer was going to wedge into that corner and there was certainly no room for pliers and a hammer. And don’t forget that wood piece.
So grab your countersinking nail tool thingy and try to gently pound it out the back the way it came in. Then when that doesn’t make it budge a mm, try to really pound it back the way it came. Find out it won’t move no matter how many bad words you utter while trying.
Decide that you don’t care if your wood gets marred and use the hammer to lever out the longer pieces of nail. Mar your wood. Start talking to yourself about how much you don’t care. Try to use the hammer on the shorter nail pieces and find out it won’t work. Try it again, because it has to work. Decide it is truly not going to work.
Cut off the short nails as close to the wood as you can get with a wire cutter. Use your countersink nail tool thingy to pound those back and as flat as you can get them. Be glad that you’ve got them all out or reasonably flat.
Make friends with your wood filler.
And then decide to call it a day.
P.S. This did not affect my love of the pneumatic nailers in the least. I was able to chalk it up to using it for the first time.
P.S.S. It wasn’t as fun to start the post with the first thing I did that day:
Before putting on the back, I added pocket holes to the bottom of the hutch. I think that will make the hutch sturdier when it is attached to the base unit. Would have been smarter to think of that before it was put together, but I’m making up some of this as I go!